HOOD MORNING! Just. It’s 11.21 as I type this which technically means that it’s almost afternoon here in the metropolis of Londinium…
OK, so. MAKE UP. I’ve been a tomboy my whole life (I went through a brief period in my early of trying to be more “feminine” and I sucked at it) and make up was never a huge deal for me. Like, ever. Liiiiiike, I didn’t buy foundation until i was 21 and even then, I had no idea wtf i was doing with it.
Now that I’m older (and hopefully a little wiser), I’ve grown to really enjoy wearing make up. As I’m sure I’ve mentioned before, I don’t wear it every day. In fact, I hardly wear it at all but I like to wear it on shoots and when I want to look my best or if I just feel like covering up some scars.
Youtube and Instagram have opened my eyes to some awesome MUA’s (make up artists) and some really cool beauty brands. I’m not sure if I’m brave enough (or care enough) about contouring just yet. I’m holding off on buying more hair & beauty products until I get to America (3.5 weeks!) but here’s what’s on my list of stuff to buy when I’m out there!
- NARS Illuminator in “Orgasm” – I used to hate dewy looking make up but actually, it’s awesome when done right (ie. the skin doesn’t look sweaty)
- Natasha Denona Face Cream Shimmer in “Dark” – I just want to look like a golden goddess, can I live?!
- Too Faced “Better Than Sex” Mascara – I’ve seen good things about this, particularly from the homegirl Rhian aka WIFELIFE (follow her, particularly if you’re vegan/environmentally conscious/appreciate a sense of humour – @rhianhy/@wifelife).
- NYX Highlight & Contour Pro Singles – Like I said, I don’t really care too much about contouring but the price of this product is too good not to at least try.
- MUJI Black Cotton Buds – Ok, this isn’t really a necessity. In fact, it isn’t at all, the white ones are just as good, I just like the fact that these are black.
- MAC Lip Pencil in Cork and Oak – Occasionally I’ll wear a bright lipstick but lately, I’m digging a more nude/natural look.
- Ben Nye Banana Powder – Two of my favourite MUA’s, Ellarie (@ellarie) & Yarisbeth (@yariszbeth) use this product in their tutorials. They both have a similar complexion to my own and their make up always turns out perf so I figure I’ll give it a shot.
- Morphe 18 piece brush set – I have some brushes and tend to only use the same few over and over so they’re a little worse for wear. I’ve seen this brand all over le ‘tube so I think I’ll update my tools with these.
- Acrylic Organizer – At present, all of my make up is in the bottom half of a mini hamper which is cute but not organized! Something like this will help me to get my stuff in order.
- Laura Mercier Translucent Powder – Another one that the beauty nerds are raving about. I’m just getting back into using powders so let’s see how this one goes…
- COVER FX Custom Cover Drops – SON! This is right up my street. I could use something like this for the days when I’d prefer a tinted moisturiser. I’ve never liked the idea of the pre-made one so being able to mix this with my jojoba oil is the dream! Shout outs to @ItsMyRayeRaye for the heads up on this.
- Natasha Denona “Blackest Black” Eyeshadow – I watched Natasha’s smokey eye tutorial and was instantly sold on this. It reminds me of traditional kajal or khol
What are some of your makeup/beauty must haves? Here’s some make up I did the other day to go check out a the opening of a photography exhibition. How’d I do?!
FACE: MAC Studio Sculpt in NC55, MAC Pro Long wear Concealer (colour correction), MAC Studio Finish Concealer in NW40 (gentle highlight), MAC Blot Powder in Dark. BROWS: Dark Brown powder from “Big Beautiful Eyes” palette and MAC Studio Finish Concealer in NW40 to clean/highlight. EYES: Beige colour from Sleek MakeUp’s iDivine Palette in “Storm”, Mascara from Estee Lauder. CHEEKS: MAC Mineralized Blush in “Love Thing”. LIPS: NARS lipstick Belle De Jour